Thursday, August 20, 2009

Google Web Hosting = FREE Google!

Google Web Hosting: my intention when I started this web hosting review site was to document various web hosts and why they suck, basically, get the dirt on them. I told myself also that I would not feature any of their free hosting plans. But Google web hosting is different. The reason why is the other web hosts always stick these annoying ads that are not yours onto YOUR website, and I really hate not having control over the content of my own website, especially after I spent hours and hours on it.

That being said, I am now going to review Google free hosting. The main reason is because they DON’T put random ads on your site. The other issue I’ll address why Google Pages is different than Blogger. So here we go:

The Plan

-100 mb of space for your site
-unlimited bandwidth

The Good

-FREE Google hosting
-add as many pages as you want within 100 mb restriction
-you can add any of the Google widget apps onto your site, like on this site, Web Hosting Dirt
-you can easily upload files
-one click publishing

The Dirt

-No databases
-Does not support PHP
-no cPanel

Are you freakin’ kidding me?

What kind of web hosting doesn’t support PHP and databases? This is a severe limitation for Google hosting.

You must keep the purpose of Google web hosting in mind when making your decision about which host to choose. The purpose is to allow people to publish simple web sites easily, without knowing much about coding, php, MySQL, etc. You may be thinking, so what…I can do that in Blogger. The advantages of Googlepages over Blogger are that you can make multiple pages for your website, such as an about page, a contact me page, etc. You really can’t do that in Blogger, as the only pages that are created are the archived posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment